Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Practice Blog Post

What I Want My Students to Know

> Who am I?
> Why do I want to be an educator?
> What does an educator do in his or her practice?
> What are my passions?


Hello, my name is Kela Miller and I am from Citronelle, Alabama. Citronelle is a very small town about forty five minutes from Mobile, Alabama. I loved growing up in a small town where playing in barns and going for swims in the creek were the best medicine for any bored child. My parents blessed me with two brothers and two sisters; I am the lucky middle child. My oldest brother is Jeramie and he lives in Lucedale, Mississippi. My sister Teah and I live together here in Mobile and my two youngest siblings, Kelsey and Logan who are both 14, hence they are twins, live in Citronelle with our mother. Our father works out of the country and is currently working in the UAE. My family and friends are all truly special to me and I love to go home every chance that I get to see them.
I graduated from Citronelle High School in 2011 and jumped right into college the following fall. I attended Faulkner State Community College in Bay Minette, Alabama for two years. After Faulkner I decided to move to Hattiesburg, Mississippi to attend the University of Southern Mississippi. I completed one year at Southern Mississippi when I felt that I should attend South Alabama. So far I absolutely love South Alabama and I love living in Mobile.

Throughout my life I have wanted to grow up and be so many different things. I wanted to be a news broadcaster, dentist, flight attendant, to even a movie producer. I was constantly changing my dream of what I may be when I grew up. However, even though a lot of those career options may have drifted from my dream, being a teacher was always there no matter what. I can remember playing school with my sisters and stuffed animals as a young girl and then as I started my college years, the idea and desire to become an educator became very prominent.

Being an educator allows a person to become so much more than what they already are. A good educator may take on many different roles for different students. A teacher, he or she, may become the only positive influence in a child's life at a time. He or she may be the only person to show a child love and guidance. It is an educator's job to instill key knowledge into students and to ensure a good education. Teaching someone and being that positive influence in someone's life means so much and is a very rewarding factor in the education profession.

I certainly have a passion for becoming an educator. I can not wait until the day that I have a student come to me and tell me that I was a good influence to them, or for a student to ever come back and thank me for helping them in whatever it may be that they were struggling with. Along with my passion for teaching, I am also very passionate about helping people by going on mission trips. I have went on various amounts of mission trips in the southern parts of the U.S. and I have been blessed to travel to Guatemala twice already and once to Canada.

The pictures below were all taken in Guatemala in a small village called El Rodeo.
Guatemala children


Guatemala children


Guatemala children

No comments:

Post a Comment