Friday, November 14, 2014

Blog Post #13

What Did I Leave Out?

teacher using SmartBoard in class

What would be a helpful lesson to teach in EDM310?

I believe that having a lesson or a few lessons on how to properly use a SmartBoard would be extremely helpful. I plan on being an elementary school teacher and I know that I will depend on using a smart board almost everyday in my future classroom. SmartBoards are a great resource for teachers to have and provides endless amounts of tools to use. However, all of these tools and this great resource is nothing or not as useful as it can be if a teacher does not know all that it has to offer. In high school and a few college classes some of my teachers were able to use and incorporate the use of SmartBoards. Therefore most of the knowledge I have about SmartBoards simply comes from my past observations of teachers. If we had a lesson that was all about SmartBoards I beleive everyone would benefit a lot. Learning the tools and simple actions to make to use SmartBoards can really help. As an inspiring future teacher I desire to gain as much knowledge as I can about everything that I know will help me be a great educator.

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you Kela! Even though we were supposed to watch videos and learn on our own, a lesson or two about how to use the smart board taught by a professional would be very useful. I plan on using a smart board and even though I know the basics I would like to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Kela! I agree that we as future teachers need to know all of the different uses for SMARTboards. I think Dr. Strange's intention was for us to learn on our own for both the instructional video and the lesson plan using SMARTboards. However, I do think that there are a lot of other uses than just the few he made mandatory for our videos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "SmartBoards are a great resource for teachers to have and provides endless amounts of tools to use. " provide, not provides

    If I were in charge of a school budget I would not buy SMARTboards. I would put technology in the hands of the students. Buy projection equipment instead. A good projector cost one twentieth of the least expensive SMARTboard $ 250 for the projector; $ 4,800 for the SMARTboard.

    Julie was correct in her comment: "I think Dr. Strange's intention was for us to learn on our own for both the instructional video and the lesson plan using SMARTboards." I hope you did that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want to watch a professional demonstration, do a search on Google. SMART also has many professional demonstration videos on their website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You were supposed to do the assignment you proposed. You did not do that. If you had done a search, found additional videos, and put them into an instructional context, you would have done this assignment properly and learned something in the process.

    "However, all of these tools and this great resource is nothing or not as useful as it can be if a teacher does not know all that it has to offer." This is an awkward sentence. Is should be are but it is still awkward after making the plural subject match the verb by changing it from singular to plural.

    "Therefore most of the knowledge I have about SmartBoards simply comes from my past observations of teachers." Did you use the SMARTboard? Did you watch the lessons on the SMART website? You can only learn by PRACTICING. How much practice did you do?

    ReplyDelete