Saturday, September 27, 2014

Blog Post #6

Video Conversations with Anthony Capps and Dr. Strange

1. Project Based Learning Part 1: Experiences of a 3rd Grade Teacher (10:03)
2. Project Based Learning Part 2: Experiences of a 3rd Grade Teacher (13:45)
3. iCurio (8:08)
4. Discovery Education (4:33)
5. The Anthony - Strange list of Tips for Teachers Part 1 (12:59)
6. Don't Teach Tech - Use It (8:49)
7. Additional Thought About Lessons (3:25)

Students in a classroom using iPads


What I have learned from the above video conversations between Anthony Capps and Dr. Strange

My first thoughts after watching the videos is about how amazing I think it is for students at such a young age are able to use technology. I immediately felt a little unqualified and embarrassed when Anthony talks about how his students have no problem using iMovie. I for one, could not figure it out for a long time. It was not until, finally, after time well spent trying every possible action, was I able to produce my videos. I enjoyed hearing everything that Anthony Capps had to say. He willingly shared some great stories involving his students, their projects, his students' parents, as well as his administers.
I think the path that education is taking is just fascinating and exciting to witness. In a classroom today at O'Rourke Elementary I was able to observe how 1st grade students use the smartboard. The teacher would tell them that they earned an award for something such as "good behavior" or "working well with others." The students would then walk up to the smartboard and add awards to their name all on their own.
The "Anthony-Strange list of Tips for Teachers Part 1" had 6 extremely good tips: 1.)Be a constant learner, 2.)Teaching never ends and it takes a lot of hard-work, 3.)Teachers should always be flexible and always expect the unexpected to happen, 4.)Start with a goal, 5.)Engage 100% of your students, in 100% of their projects, and engage them all 100% of the time, 6.)Always reflect back on your work to make revisions for things to be better. I find all of these very useful to know and important to keep in mind. Teaching requires so much dedication and hard-work! I know though, teachers like Dr. Strange and Mr. Capps will ultimately help shape the future of our world by expanding and utilizing project base learning, the use of technology, and teaching students like myself the importance of this new form of education.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you will be a part of that process!

    Thoughtful. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete