Sunday, September 14, 2014

Project #15 - Search Engines

8 Different Search Engines That Do Different Things

The word search under a magnifying glass

1) If you are ever wanting to find a great source for news, Yahoo News is place to go. This search engine is an excellent search engine to find out what is going on in the world today. Yahoo News offers different categories to help search such as news involving the U.S., the world, Science, Local, and health news. I use Yahoo Mail so I search Yahoo News quite often when I check my mail or just when I here about a story or event I will get online to use Yahoo News to read articles or watch videos to learn more about the subject. This is a very informative search engine and can easily by used.

2) WebMD is certainly a search engine that we may all have to use at some point in our life. I know I have used it plenty of times. Whether it may be to do some sort of research for school, a personal illness, or to learn more about a sickness a loved one may have, WebMD is there to help. This search engine offers so much! "We provide credible information, supportive communities, and in-depth reference material about health subjects that matter to you" is a little of what WebMD believes of itself.

3) WolframAlpha. I personally never knew of this search engine but I am glad I do now. If you have never used it before, I recommend to click on "examples" to see all of the categories it has so you will understand what types of questions you can search for. If you have a question on how to calculate a problem you can simply type it in and WolframAlpha will either help you to learn how to solve it or give you the answer.

4) Going on vacation or planning a trip? Tripadvisor is the go to place. This search engine is so beneficial when wanting to plan the perfect get-away. You can look for hotels, flights, vacation rentals, restaurants, and destinations. It is known as the world's largest travel site. Tripadvisor also offers "reviews and advice on hotels, resorts, flights, vacation rentals, travel packages, and lots more!"

5) Fact Monster is a search engine that is geared more towards children. Fact Monster is ideal for a young student to use to learn more on a subject. This website offers games and quizzes as well to help teach various subjects. Very helpful and fun search engine for kids!

6)Cars.com is a search engine that is obviously all about vehicles. You can search for cars to buy or use this website to sell on. Cars.com sums up basically all it has to offer in one sentence: "Visited by more than 11 million car shoppers each month, Cars.com is the leading destination for online car shoppers, offering credible and easy-to-understand information from consumers and experts to help buyers formulate opinions on what to buy, where to buy and how much to pay for a car."

7)YouTube is the seventh search engine on my list. This is an excellent source for searching for videos and music. I personally enjoy using YouTube on a daily basis. I love to get on this search engine and just see what I can stumble across. YouTube was founded in February 2005 and helps people connect all around the world with videos.

8)When shopping is on the agenda, Amazon.com is the perfect place to visit. This search engine offers thousands of things to buy and ways to sell as well. I personally like to use Amazon when buying textbooks for school and certain birthday gifts for people. I know a ton of people who use Amazon.com continuously to do all of their shopping.



No comments:

Post a Comment