Saturday, October 11, 2014

Blog Post # 8

What Can We Learn About Teaching and Learning From Randy Pausch?

Randy Pausch's Last Lecture

Randy Pausch speaking

My how I was dreading watching this video after I saw that it was over an hour long. However, now I am so glad that Dr. Strange assigned this. This is truly a must see video that no one will regret watching. Randy Pausch is hands down a very interesting, successful, brilliant, and caring human being. I watched Randy Pausch's Last Lecture at 6:00 in the morning and I, surprisingly for me, never once got distracted, uninterested, and nor did I doze off any. He has a very naturally keen way of keeping people's attention.
Randy Pausch has some very important key statements in his lecture. Having Dreams in life are a necessity and boy did Randy Pausch have plenty. I love that he was able to share all of the dreams he was blessed to experience throughout his life. A really cool saying he said a few times in the lecture was about brick walls. Brick walls let us show our dedication. "Brick walls are there for reasons: They let us prove how badly we want things" He explains how throughout life there will always be brick walls trying to stop us and getting in our way. It is at that those moments when we find out how bad we want to accomplish something how hard we are wiling to work to achieve our goal. He tells a story that explains the importance of how we say "I don't know." When a student or anyone ever asks a question that you are not sure of or do not know the answer to, never just say that you do not know but instead try to understand where they are coming from and either figure the answer out together or point them into the best direction.
"When people give you feedback, cherish and use it." It is always nice to have someone tell you that you are doing a great job at something but it is also good when people care enough to tell you ways to improve something. Instead of rejecting or being hurt by negative feedback be grateful, accept it, and then turn around and use it. Show gratitude. Don't complain; just work harder. "Find the best in everybody; no matter how long you have to wait for them to show you." This is a good statement to always keep in mind especially in the education field. Never short someone a chance to show that they are good because there is some good in everyone. Lastly, always try your hardest to enable the dreams of others!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kela! I agree with your post very much! Especially about dreading watching that video for an hour! However, I was very glad I did! It was well worth it and I don't think anyone would regret watching it! Very inspiring! You summarized it very well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post. I think watching this video was one of my favorite assignments when I took the class. I learned a lot from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post Kela! I also found his statement about brick walls very significant. Brick walls are their to test our dedication. Furthermore, they let us prove how bad we want things. I also thought his statement about not setting the bar was important. Teachers should never set the bar for their students because it could hinder their potential. As educators we should always strive to push our students to do their very best.

    ReplyDelete