Sunday, October 12, 2014

Implications and Teaching Opportunities for Camera Use in Teaching and Learning.

"A recent study by Zogby Analytics reports several interesting findings regarding young people aged 18 - 24:

1. 87% say their smartphone never leaves their side.
2. 80% say the very first thing they do in the morning is reach for their smartphone.
3. 78% say they spend 2 or more hours per day using their smartphone.
4. 68% say they would prefer to use their smartphone instead of their laptop or personal computer for personal use.
5. 91% say that having a camera on their smartphone is important (61% very important)
6. 87% say they use their smartphone camera at least weekly. 59% use their smartphone camera at least every other day. 44% use their smartphone camera for still or motion picture taking every day." -Dr. John H. Strange

Part A

I believe that education, schools, teachers, and learners all benefit from technology. I personally absolutely love technology and my smartphone. Technology is an ever expanding tool for virtually anything. It is simply amazing that there are so many ways to use it and so many resources that come from it. Technology has, no doubt, made our world much easier and better in many ways. I love being able to grab my iPhone or computer and within just a few clicks learn and see new things within seconds. The use and availability of technology and smartphones will always broaden the horizon within classrooms and allows teachers to incorporate so much into their lessons. Students will always use technology and what they learn about it throughout life. However, with all the good technology and smartphones contribute to our world, some things about technology and smartphones bother me.

Some of the above data about smartphones bothers me. 80% of people reaching for their phone as soon as they wake up and 87% saying that their smartphones never leaves their side are both very large numbers. I understand that it is important to have them near in case of emergencies, work related communication, phone calls, etc. however, I do not want our world to be so involved within our technology that we miss the world. Some people would be completely lost without their phones, myself included. I hope that we do not allow our smartphones to lessen our ability to enjoy a beautiful day, a simple conversation with a child about their new pet turtle, a common courtesy right in front of us, or our family. Too often people are looking down playing a game, searching the web, tweeting, or watching videos. Instead of wanting to reach for our phone first thing in the morning we ought to tell our significant other, children, parents, roommate, or siblings "good morning." We all love technology without a doubt, but technology will never love us back. Moderation is key.

girl using laptop

Part B

As a teacher I will use technology within my classroom because I think it is very useful and it will help engage my students more. Assuming that all of my students have either a smartphone or a tablet with a camera I have come up with a few ways we as a class can use them.
1. It would be awesome to give my students a project at the beginning of the year that allows them to introduce their self to the class and show the class and I a few things about them. My students will be instructed to make a video or slide show of things about them such as their family, what sports they like, what movies they love, etc. and include pictures.
2. I will instruct my students how to create QR codes.
3. After some lessons I will instruct my students into groups for them to create popplets on the subject taught.
4. My students will be instructed to take photos of certain objects at home to show the class during certain lessons.
5. My students will continuously be instructed to search things using their tablet or smartphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment