Thursday, October 16, 2014

Blog Post # 9

What Can Teachers and Students Teach Us About Project Based Learning?

After reading Seven Essentials for Project-Based Learning by John Larmer and John R. Mergendoller, I have such a better understanding of what a meaningful project is. Growing up, I was almost always handed a packet stating I need to have such and such project due on such and such date with such and such with it and more such and such rules, oh and can't forget such and such and such and such. It was always dry, clean cut directions for projects with little availability to incorporate my own ideas and opinions. I have had teachers that would just tell students a little about the project and that it is important because it may be on a test or because we will receive a grade for it. I personally loved projects when I was in school because I love to make things and figure things out. However, there have been PLENTY of times where I was so frustrated because I thought what we were having to do was useless, unimportant, and most of all meaningless. I hated to question, "will I ever really use this in life." Not understanding why something is important can be such a downer.
Seven Essentials for Project-Based Learning really emphasizes on how important it is to make projects meaningful. Actually providing students with reasons why something is important to them and why it matters can make such a big difference in grasping their attention and to spark the "I want to learn more" attitude.
Here is the, very helpful, list of the 7 essentials presented in this article:
1. A Need to Know
2. A Driving Question
3. Student Voice and Choice
4. 21st Century Skills
5. Inquiry and Innovation
6. Feedback and Revision
and lastly,
7. A Publicly Presented Product

Project-Based Learning for Teachers

Awesome video to get teachers interested in Project Based Learning

Two students solve the case of the watery ketchup by designing a new cap

This is a prime example of how effective PBL is. These students were able to come together as a team and work together towards a goal they had set for themselves. I am very sure they took pride in their accomplishment. They both put forth an extreme amount of effort into something they both were interested and concerned in. This was definitely a MEANINGFUL project to them.

Two more videos that show how important Project Based Learning is and what motivates students within the classroom are High School Teachers Meet the Challenges of PBL Implementation and PBL: What motivates students today.

1 comment: